Introducing, BetaKit. 😎

Built on an out-dated CMS, we brought BetaKit back to life with complete re-branding, new color schemes, re-build of the existing database and WordPress custom development.

Our Challenge

If your an entrepreneur or startup fanatic, you'll know all about the ups and downs of launching a startup in today's' world. BetaKit was launched as a haven for the early-stage startup, it's a curated database of articles, resources, and tools aimed at helping entrepreneurs launch, grow and maintain their fledgling startup.

BetaKit already had a backend, built on the Pligg CMS system, it's well built and open source but lacks out-of-the-box scaling and extensibility. They're looking to move to a different CMS, one more suited for a heavy-content website.

Their Goals

I sat down with BetaKit and we spoke about the difficulties of positioning multiple types on content on a single page without it looking cluttered and whilst still being able to easily find what you need.

The key takeaways from our chat; Showcase multiple types of content in a clean way, increase search engine traffic and white space.

We discussed the responsive areas of the user experience, which generally revolves around their home page, using Google Analytics we monitored the flow of users through the site - I found that after reading a single article, most readers simply left, no interaction with social elements, not reading more articles.

We decided that a single page app would be the best approach to take, dropping Pligg entirely and building from a WordPress foundation. This way we can keep users engaged with rapid page loading times and seamless interaction - We produced a wireframe in a dashboard style, displaying as much content as possible, in a friendly way.

Solving The User Experience

Taking a users experience of a product into account can be difficult when building from the backend - It's not a logical, straight-cut fix, it's never a linear change and evolves as the user does.

So we look at the user, our audience is built of entrepreneurs, budding startup founders and tech geeks - The sort of people that have become accustomed to using dashboards in the past couple of years - the type of people that know about marketing tactics all too well.

We're going to liven up the color scheme and drop the color count down to 3-4, shades of greys and whites with a solid candy orange highlight color. Positioning the content in a card-like view, another concept ran through the most-used interfaces in the world, we want our readers to feel familiar usability.

Tieing Up The User Flow

After using Google Analytics to monitor the users flow around the product, I was able to identify a couple of areas we could definitely improve. Social interaction was low, yet there were so many sticky share buttons flying across the screen - we cut these out and added a sticky floating bar to the bottom of all articles.

Adding next and previous read buttons to address the bounce rate, along with 'related posts' and 'featured' post at the end of articles, we've already dropped an 87% bounce rate down to 48%. Readers are now averaging between 2 and 3 articles per visit, and social shares have increased 28% from the same time last month.

Mobile Friendly Optimization

The world got so tied up in making their websites responsive, that they forgot to do it properly - making your website responsive is just having it display on other devices in a somewhat reasonable way.

BetaKit dosn't want to be responsive, they want to be mobile-friendly. Being one of few websites with an app-like mobile interface straight from the web browser, with pull-to-share functionality and other modern usability features users have grown accustomed to when using a mobile app.

We also added an app on-boarding type of account creation, for both the web and mobile views, seamlessly modernizing the design and user experience at the same time.

What We Achieved

We worked with BetaKit for 7 weeks, during that time we've identified both major and minor issues, addressed and solved problems in the user flow and produced wireframes, stunning design concepts, and modern optimized code.

During the first couple of weeks, we monitored their current site using a range of analytics tools, gathering data and identifying issues and holes in the users flow through each stage of the site.

We had produced wireframes and signed off on concept designs during week 3 before proposing some solutions to increase shareability and decrease the bounce rate.

By week 6 we had our new WordPress based web app in testing, onboarding 40 of the sites current users and taking feedback, making a few tweaks here and there. During week 7 and for a couple of weeks after the project, we continued to monitor the organic search results, traffic sources and collected data on the solutions we implemented.

BetaKit has dropped their bounce rate by over 35%, page load speeds have increased by a whopping 1.8 seconds and gained 19% in search traffic, specifically from Google and Bing.

Let's have a chat.

👇

You can share your project with us, bounce ideas off us, talk gaming or just tell us about the latest movie you saw. Whatever it might be, let's have a chat. Schedule a meeting today.